Want To Start Working Out Again.. Need Some Effective Exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want To Start Working Out Again.. Need Some Effective Exercises

Here's the thing, I'm very short and small. I don't have a lot of muscle. I'm athletic, but never had a body that showed it because I was always too skinny no matter how much I ate. Any advice or tips or exercises that could help me? I'm 5'5'' and weigh 110. My arms are small and I lost my six pack. Other than that, I used to play soccer, basketball and track when I was in school, so I do have athletic abilities.

It is not about how much you eat but what you eat. I played soccer for 15 years and I had the same problem, but not anymore. Good exercising combined with quality eating is the right formula. I never used supplements but anyway now I'm 25 pound heavier. Yes some of that weight is in fat but I don't have enough money to control my food so much to gain only muscle.
    For you I recommend a lot of chicken breasts, eggs, fish, beans.. You could even use protein (protein shakes). I don't use that because I want to go the harder way, and when you succeed on that way, the win is sweeter.

Comment

Originally posted by bobinikolovski View Post
      It is not about how much you eat but what you eat. I played soccer for 15 years and I had the same problem, but not anymore. Good exercising combined with quality eating is the right formula. I never used supplements but anyway now I'm 25 pound heavier. Yes some of that weight is in fat but I don't have enough money to control my food so much to gain only muscle.
      For you I recommend a lot of chicken breasts, eggs, fish, beans.. You could even use protein (protein shakes). I don't use that because I want to go the harder way, and when you succeed on that way, the win is sweeter.

Thank you, that was helpful. I will try to eat more quality foods. I'm sure chicken and eggs won't be hard to say no to, haha. I've always thought of taking protein shakes, but never gone out and gotten them. Do you know of any good protein shakes to get that are also not that expensive? I, too, don't have a lot of money so I can see where you are coming from, haha. Thank you for the advice, though.

Comment

Well I don't want to lie to you and say this one or that one, because as I sad before I don't use them and I'm not very familiar with types of proteins. It will be better if someone else who know more about that to tell you. It is good supplement, it is natural and useful but real food is my thing. I want to eat, A LOT !

Comment

I had the same problem as you I used to play rugby in college and also basket ball. I stopped exercising and gained weight to 135kgs. I am lucky I am in Kenya and in an area were athletes run every morning so I started running and also I controlled my eating habits. I started taking more vegetables than corn or cakes and sugar. this helps in cutting weight after one year I now weigh 105kgs

Comment

Well I don't want to lie to you and say this one or that one, because as I sad before I don't use them and I'm not very familiar with types of proteins. It will be better if someone else who know more about that to tell you. It is good supplement, it is natural and useful but real food is my thing. I want to eat, A LOT !

Well thanks for being honest haha. What would you say are some main foods I should eat daily/often? I am kind of on a tight budget, but I am totally down to start eating better. Thank you for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by kirui View Post
              I had the same problem as you I used to play rugby in college and also basket ball. I stopped exercising and gained weight to 135kgs. I am lucky I am in Kenya and in an area were athletes run every morning so I started running and also I controlled my eating habits. I started taking more vegetables than corn or cakes and sugar. this helps in cutting weight after one year I now weigh 105kgs

It's not that I need to cut weight. I just need to work on my abs and my core and eat more. I'm too skinny and any core muscle I had is all MIA.

Comment

my problem was mainly my weight which I cut down by using the vegetables. if you want to keep the weight and have the abs just reduce on the vegies

Comment

Makes sense, thanks for the advice. I can't say I eat a lot of veggies anyways, so I think we are good haha.

Comment

another tip you can have a time table of what to cook to avoid over consumption of some foods.

Comment

RyanBrennan
                      You now, when you see the prices on the bad things we pay a lot to eat (as hamburgers, pizza etc), you will recognize that eating healthy can be cheaper. Rice is good and cheap, chicken breasts, all kinds of beans, veggies, fish is good especially salmon (which is more expensive here), also you need to drink a lot of water. Drink water all day a lot and also drink while you are exercising.
                      The process is easy when you think a little. You need a lot of proteins (fish, egg whites, chicken breasts, beans) to gain muscle, you need veggies (any veggies but not fried) for fiber, so your stomach can easier digest the food, you need carbohydrates (rice.. not white bread and cakes) for more energy, and you need water so your organism can easier transport needed elements to their final location through blood.
                      This is all I know about diets.. if someone know more I would like to here it to.

Comment

Originally posted by LOIMA View Post
                        another tip you can have a time table of what to cook to avoid over consumption of some foods.

I can see where that could help. I should try that. I also don't cook a lot, so that would help me stay motivated to cook and eat right.

Comment

RyanBrennan
                          You now, when you see the prices on the bad things we pay a lot to eat (as hamburgers, pizza etc), you will recognize that eating healthy can be cheaper. Rice is good and cheap, chicken breasts, all kinds of beans, veggies, fish is good especially salmon (which is more expensive here), also you need to drink a lot of water. Drink water all day a lot and also drink while you are exercising.
                          The process is easy when you think a little. You need a lot of proteins (fish, egg whites, chicken breasts, beans) to gain muscle, you need veggies (any veggies but not fried) for fiber, so your stomach can easier digest the food, you need carbohydrates (rice.. not white bread and cakes) for more energy, and you need water so your organism can easier transport needed elements to their final location through blood.
                          This is all I know about diets.. if someone know more I would like to here it to.

‚ÄčThat's very helpful bobinikolovski . Thank you. I think the main thing I need to do before starting to really get into my workouts is gain weight and have the necessary nutrition to keep it going. I know I'm motivated enough, I just need to know how to go about doing everything.

Comment

You should use fat and protein as a source of energy, not carbohydrates. If you get too much carbs (same with fat and protein) theyll turn to fat in your body. But the thing is only about 50-60% of the extra fat and protein will turn into fat in your body when about 80-90% of the extra carbs will do the same.
                            So conclusion: fat and protein are better sources of energy than carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukkonen View Post
                              You should use fat and protein as a source of energy, not carbohydrates. If you get too much carbs (same with fat and protein) theyll turn to fat in your body. But the thing is only about 50-60% of the extra fat and protein will turn into fat in your body when about 80-90% of the extra carbs will do the same.
                              So conclusion: fat and protein are better sources of energy than carbs.

What would you say are some good foods to eat to get fat and protein? I know absolutely nothing about nutrition, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X