Common Terms Used in Bowling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Terms Used in Bowling

There are terms being used in bowling and some terms might not be that familiar to us. I seldom play bowling so, not that easy for me to be familiar with those terms. I knew very few such as the terms pins, throw and strike.
    Do you know more of those terms being used in bowling and its meaning?

Thank you very much for this useful post. I'm not a great connoisseur of bowling (I was in a bowling alley just twice), but I have heard of some terms used in this sport:
    - The Approach
    - Gutter
    - Gutter Ball
    - Straight Ball
    - Hook

If you know what these terms mean, please explain to me!

Comment

I know the Gutter is the channel on either side of the lane. If your ball goes into the gutter, you don't get any points. That's what a gutter ball is.

Comment

I know the approach is the way you step up to throw the bowl and the certain setup you have to do and the arm swing you have to create to have a good roll down the alley

Comment

Originally posted by gggagggi View Post
          Thank you very much for this useful post. I'm not a great connoisseur of bowling (I was in a bowling alley just twice), but I have heard of some terms used in this sport:
          - The Approach
          - Gutter
          - Gutter Ball
          - Straight Ball
          - Hook

If you know what these terms mean, please explain to me!
          I am not that familiar either on those terms. Good thing someone already discussed the gutter ball and the Approach here.
          I think the gutter ball is a ball the passed the gutter while the straight ball is the ball not went through the gutter.
          I do not know what the hook means.

Comment

Another term is the spare. That's when you knock down all the pins in two throws. A strike is when you knock down all the pins with one throw only.

Comment

Originally posted by puremagic View Post
              Another term is the spare. That's when you knock down all the pins in two throws. A strike is when you knock down all the pins with one throw only.
              Oh okay, I thought strike is still the term no matter how many throw it is as long as all pins are knocked down. I have been learning new terms in here and it is really good.

Comment

I have played bowling once and I have learned some terms like strike, gutter and pins.

Comment

Working...
                X