Sponsored Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWS FROM ISRAEL: Maccabi returns to the ABA league?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEWS FROM ISRAEL: Maccabi returns to the ABA league?

European champion Maccabi Tel Aviv again considers the possibility to join the ABA league! ​"Pride of Izar" was a participant in the regional basketball competition, in 2002/03 and 2011/12. According to information from Tel Aviv, the management of "yellow" thinking about returning to the Adriatic. ​The leaders of Maccabi discuss about all the options and they are in contact with the leading men in ABA league.

Thumbs up for that!!! Great news. The ABA league would benefit from that, and probably Maccabi too.
    Crvena Zvezda, Partizan, Buducnost are currently the best teams in the ABA league and some fresh blood would make things even more interesting.
    I think Levski from Bulgaria are struggling this year, both financially and competitively, I guess they will be out for the next season and there's room for Maccabi.
    Great news if confirmed true.

Comment

Originally posted by gjole View Post
      Thumbs up for that!!! Great news. The ABA league would benefit from that, and probably Maccabi too.
      Crvena Zvezda, Partizan, Buducnost are currently the best teams in the ABA league and some fresh blood would make things even more interesting.
      I think Levski from Bulgaria are struggling this year, both financially and competitively, I guess they will be out for the next season and there's room for Maccabi.
      Great news if confirmed true.
      Not just Levski, there are several teams in ABA who are struggling this season. Last year champions Cibona couldn't play in Euroleague because of financial problems, and they are at the bottom of the table this year to. MZT Skopje also had a lot of changes in their team. 2 of their best players left and they changed more coaches in a year than some teams change in a whole history.

And sure Maccabi would be good for the competition, but I think they are to strong for other teams. Only 2-3 teams can play well against Maccabi and as we saw 2 years ago even those teams cant do much against them. They are few ranks up from all the ABA league teams.

Comment

Maccabi would be a great addition. They are a few ranks above most ABA teams, but also above most Israeli teams. Maybe they judged it was better for the t compete in ABA.
        Also there were some rumours about Panathenaikos joining ABA due t some dispute theu had with their Basketball Association.
        Interesting times ahead for ABA.

Comment

Well, if financial crisis in Ex Yu teams continue actually it wont be interesting at all! And if Panathenaikos enter the league to, together with Maccabi the league will lose its first intentions which are to make basketball more interesting in this region and to motivate Ex Yu teams to invest more, Because noone will want to invest money when you have 2 of the best teams in Europe playing in the same league. Ex Yu teams don't have such funds to compete with this two.

Comment

I disagree with you on that bobinikolovski
            Advantages of having high profile teams in the ABA league:
            mediocre ABA teams will face stronger opponents, thus their motivation goes up. Yes, they will need to invest more in good players if they want to be competitive, but that will be a good investment. They will build better teams, will play against top class teams, will attract more audience. Will contribute to the popularity of the basketball. Take MZT for example, their sports hall is full when they play Partizan and Zvezda, half-empty when they host Zadar or Szolnoki. Add Maccabi and one more team, possibly Panathenaikos and you get an extra-interesting competition with 3-4 Euroleague teams competing in it.

Comment

Maybe other teams would oppose the joining of these two because that would limit their chances of securing a place in the European competitions.
              But again maybe they can still qualify for Euroleague or the Eurocup through their own national league competitions.
              Other than that I also don't see a reason why wouldn't anyone want to have such classy teams aboard.

Comment

Originally posted by gjole View Post
                I disagree with you on that bobinikolovski
                Advantages of having high profile teams in the ABA league:
                mediocre ABA teams will face stronger opponents, thus their motivation goes up. Yes, they will need to invest more in good players if they want to be competitive, but that will be a good investment. They will build better teams, will play against top class teams, will attract more audience. Will contribute to the popularity of the basketball. Take MZT for example, their sports hall is full when they play Partizan and Zvezda, half-empty when they host Zadar or Szolnoki. Add Maccabi and one more team, possibly Panathenaikos and you get an extra-interesting competition with 3-4 Euroleague teams competing in it.
                I't is not like that man. They will maybe want to be competitive and invest, but the problem is that they can't invest more than they already did. Financial situation in current ABA League is bad. They can't follow even Red Start who have a little bit more money, and what will happen if Maccabi or Panathinaikos came here? And plus as homer sad, that way they wont be able to be on first 2 places (which means Euroleague). So how is that motivational for Ex Yu clubs? Don't fool yourself that Ex Yu teams have money to follow those 2!

Comment

What is the point bobinikolovski of playing basketball, or doing anything really, if you do not tend to improve, score more, become more famous, appreciated etc etc.
                  Let's then keep the ABA league at a standstill, do not bring anything fresh in it, no developments, no investments. That equals no fun. That equals no audience. That leads to a dead end.
                  I am sure the sponsors in ex Yu have some money stashed somewhere that they could use if they truly wanted to.

Comment

You have Euroleague to be the challenging and motivational for Ex Yu teams. First of all, only traveling to Israel cost a lot. But anyway that is only my opinion. I'm Partizan fan and I don't want this to happen.

Comment

So you prefer weak aba league limited to ex yu teams only, plus bg and hu teams who have no extra quality. That way serbian teams dominate and are almost guaranted a place in the euroleague. I think I understand you now.

Comment

Don't understand me wrong, I'm not from Serbia I'm just a Partizan fan. And in my opinion as someone from balkan, it is better to have 2 teams in euroleague no matter from which country they come, than to have none for the sake of strong league.

Comment

cant we have two for the stronger leagues and one for the weak leagues this will help the weaker countries to try harder so that their rankings can rise

Comment

Let us agree to disagree on this issue. Your point may be a valid point, i just dont see the logic. Do you think partizan will qualify for euroleague as things are at tge moment?

Comment

Well if regulations from last year are in play, first place goes directly to Euroleague and second place goes through qualifications. Yes I think Partizan will qualify. I read today that maybe Alex Maric will return on C position.

Comment

Working...
                              X