Common Terms Used in Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Terms Used in Basketball

Most probably those who play basketball are familiar with the common terms used for it. Those who enjoy watching basketball games might have learned those terms through watching it often too. What are those terms and its meaning?
    Some that I know are:

Assist - a pass to another player that directly lead to the basket.
    Blocked Shot - when a player is attempting to shoot the ball and it was blocked
    Defense - preventing the opponent to score
    Dunk - a player was able to jump near the basket and throw the ball down.
    Offense - player or team who has the ball.

Free throw - a shot worth one point given to a player fouled while shooting, or under certain other conditions
    Backcourt violation - when the ball is moved past the halfway line, it cannot be brought back (at least under NBA rules)
    Three pointer - a shot worth three points, taken from outside the three point arc. Any shot closer in is worth 2.

Comment

Originally posted by puremagic View Post
      Free throw - a shot worth one point given to a player fouled while shooting, or under certain other conditions
      Backcourt violation - when the ball is moved past the halfway line, it cannot be brought back (at least under NBA rules)
      Three pointer - a shot worth three points, taken from outside the three point arc. Any shot closer in is worth 2.
      First time to read something about the Backcourt violation. Maybe because it is not a common violation or it was just implemented in the NBA?

Comment

It's not a recent rule but I'm not sure if it exists in other leagues. The NBA has always had unique rules such as at one point banning zone defense.

Comment

walk is the term i know because most people do walk in a game so i had to know it better

Comment

Double dribble: using both hands to dribble, this is not allowed.
            Traveling or walking: carrying the ball without dribbling
            Goaltending: illegally blocking a shot when it's on a downward trajectory

Comment

Foul is the familiar term that i hear.

Comment

shielding the ball is protecting it from getting into the hands of the opponent

Comment

charging is one of the commonly used words and can be formulated by the defence incase of a hard game, once you keep your stand and you are slightly touched then youve been charged in.

Comment

I do know very few of those terms, only terms that are commonly discussed. Some of these are: foul, free throw, three points, time out and dunk.

Comment

Yeah amd new rules for fiba right now is offensive three seconds. Which is illegal defense before.

Comment

Oh so just the name was being changed. Interesting to know.

Comment

Yeah kind of like that.

Comment

Originally posted by celina17 View Post

First time to read something about the Backcourt violation filezilla uc browser rufus. Maybe because it is not a common violation or it was just implemented in the NBA?
                            a player fouled while shooting, or under certain other conditions
                            Last edited by MULIYAT; 07-28-2019, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X