Common Terms Used in Baseball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Terms Used in Baseball

I have not tried playing baseball but I have learned some terms through watching it and as far as I can remember, we discussed some about it in school before. So very few that I am aware of so, it will be really helpful if someone here would share what he or she knew about this sport.

Base - Places or stations in which the player need to touch while running after a hit on the ball.
    Batter - The one who will hit the ball using the bat.
    Pitcher - The one throwing the ball to the batter.
    Lineup - The batters order.

Thanks a lot, this is very helpful. Unfortunately, baseball is not very popular sport in my country, but I like to watch baseball games on television. I just heard of "Base" and "Pitcher", but there are many other terms in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by gggagggi View Post
      Thanks a lot, this is very helpful. Unfortunately, baseball is not very popular sport in my country, but I like to watch baseball games on television. I just heard of "Base" and "Pitcher", but there are many other terms in baseball.
      There are really more other terms used in baseball than those I have mentioned. It will be a good thing if someone here who play baseball, even in amateur level could state more terms.

Comment

Here are some hitting terms:

Single: A hit that makes the runner advance to first base
        Double: A hit that makes him advance to second
        Triple: A hit that makes him advance to third
        Home Run: A hit that makes him reach home plate and score

Comment

Originally posted by puremagic View Post
          Here are some hitting terms:

Single: A hit that makes the runner advance to first base
          Double: A hit that makes him advance to second
          Triple: A hit that makes him advance to third
          Home Run: A hit that makes him reach home plate and score
          Thanks for sharing these hitting terms. I think the very famous of all those terms is the Home Run as it was being shouted in all games that I have watched so far.

Comment

For me, ive learned baseball when i played playstation and xbox. Until i get addicted ad watching it. Most commob terms are
            Runs - if a player completes the 4 bases
            RBI - runs batted in. The number of player went to home run base after you hit the ball or
            Hit - when you hit the ball successfully and not getting out.
            Error- if a defensive team comitted an error which causes te opponent to earn a base.
            Steal- if a person in 1st base or second base successfully run into next base while pitching.

Comment

I am not that familiar with the terms being used in Baseball. This sports is also not that popular here and I have not experienced playing it even once. I just know the players are called batter, pitcher and catcher.

Comment

Yeah and for the defensive positions. There are 1sta basemen, second basemen, 3rd basemen, shortstop, left fielder, right fielder, mid fielder, catcher and the pitcher. Also if the rule is the pitcher go in bat. You also have the Designated hitter. Meaning he only plays offense.

Comment

Working...
                X